Photo

Sam Worthington's Father's Day Message To His Dad (via The Guardian)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,553 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Source: http://www.guardian....y?newsfeed=true

Posted Image

Sam Worthington's Father Day Message To His Dad (Via The Guardian)

This is Sam’s segment from TheGuardian.co.uk’s Father’s Day special where six stars talk about their fathers and how much they mean to them:

"When I was 19 and about to go to drama school my dad, Ronald, had a heart attack. He had a triple heart bypass. He was working class, and for years had had a job in a power plant. Dad said, “Bugger working for a living”, quit his job, and decided to live a little. He caught the travel bug. He and my mum just travelled, all around Australia.

They are still at it; Dad doesn’t have to worry about money or any of it. After Avatar, I said, all right, where do you want to live? He said Tasmania, so I bought them a house there. But they’re never there … they say it’s freezing and they go on holiday to hot places!

The best thing my dad ever did for me was when I was finishing school. I was doing a bricklaying apprenticeship because I wanted something to fall back on. He put me on a plane, with $400 in my pocket, and sent me to the other side of the country and said: “Now work your way back.”

It was a case of getting off the plane in Cairns and thinking, I don’t know where I’m staying, I don’t know anyone, let’s go. It was the best way of growing up. I did bricklaying, fibre glassing, I was a nanny, drove those rickshaw things, worked in a sandwich store – anything to get me from one place to the next. Success is good because it has not only changed my life, it has changed my dad’s life too
."

#2 Slinkyminx65

Slinkyminx65

New Terminator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Oh My Goodness, that is sooooo sweet. His Dad sounds fun.

I lost my Dad, after an 8 year battle, to Leukemia in 2004. He was amazing through it all. He was always positive, to the point of making jokes about the illness, which was actually in serious bad taste but that was Dad. I do so miss him, we had the same sense of humour and even though he could be quite black and white about things, he was always prepared to change his viewpoint if he could see he was in the wrong. We travelled alot as a family (around Britain) and i got the travel bug from him really.

Everyone should try to get to know their parents, particularly as you get older, you suddenly realise how much you have in common and I always think its such a shame when familys drift apart. I appreciate not all fathers are wonderful, some are downright horrific, but if you do have a good relationship with your parents, never, ever loose it. You wouldnt be here if it wasnt for them.
This signature is not because I lust, but because I laugh ................................... no, really, its true! ;)

Posted Image

#3 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,553 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

;) He does sound cool!!!

Your Dad sounds like another cool and lovely guy babes! :Hug: :Hug: So sad when someone like him has to battle such a terrible illness. :( Our friend Mark died of the same thing at around the same time. Another lovely guy and terrific Dad.

Well, my Mum is the slightly horrific one, but my Dad was soooooo good it made up for it in a way. ;) He was tremendously funny to be around!!! He was always there with a sympathetic ear and shoulder to cry on or something silly to help you through a bad time. I try to be more like him than anyone else I've known as he had all the traits you could wish for in any person, a HUGE capacity for Love, Compassion, Humility and Courage that I can only dream of holding within myself. And yeah, I miss him a little more each day and really wish my Granddaughter Daisy could have known her Great Grandad as I know he would have given her so many happy memories too. :wub:

And yeah, we had the same silly sense of humour too!!! :cheeky: xxx

#4 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,550 posts
  • Locationwestern Washington (pacific northwest) USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I knew in my heart I'd read Tasmania, but it always sounds so crazy from this side of the world. I should have trusted my memory on that one..

My father was a bastard child conceived when his mother's husband was off in the armed services..so one might easily imagine that out of the nine children, he wasn't treated the best. I won't get into all of that because some of it is pretty horrific, but I will say that he was rather a f**ked up person because of it. He had some of the most bizarre notions about what a man was supposed to be. He married young. Had five children of his own..one after another, became a bad alcoholic, and then proceeded to spend the remaining time they were together getting drunk and beating my mother. Oh, he had a good steady job and hid it all very well most of the time, so it wasn't exactly what one might think of in terms of the typical scenario in that way, but it made for a difficult and painful childhood for us all none-the-less..at least with regard to that. It's something we all tried to hide..

I wanted so much to be close to him, but he simply wasn't capable of that. If I went to hug him, I could feel his entire body tighten and seize up before he pulled away. He was a strange person when it came to affection..

I remember one Christmas morning dad coming downstairs early with us (which he never did) and proceeded to "help" us open our presents. My older brother got upset and said. "What are you doing that for? They're our presents! Let us open them!" I distinctly remember my dad's demeanor at that moment..though I was only around nine or ten..He looked so disappointed. I said, "You can open mine if you want, daddy." He looked at me with his big, beautiful, forlorn eyes and simply got up and walked away. I didn't really realize at the moment that there would have been nothing I could do to console him. I wasn't yet all that aware of his disappointment in me.. and his firstborn, favorite (and namesakes) had already rejected him and skulked away, too..I didn't quite understand any of the moment, but I think it was the last time I really felt anything like love for him..His alcoholism and violence escalated from there. I loved my mother so much, it got to the point where I could never forgive him for some of the things he did to her.. My parents finally separated a couple of years later, but I don't think they actually got divorced for another five or so.

I rarely even saw him after they separated.

I wish I could have understood my dad's life like I do now. Who he was and why. I may have been able to help him. Only trouble is, how could I ever do that until I grew up and sorted myself out first? I couldn't.

Whenever I see Sam saying, "You guys label me a tough guy, but I'm really a sensitive soul.." I think of my dad..because he really was a sensitive soul..and that was the problem.. At that time and at that place..He wasn't allowed to be a sensitive soul. It was considered unmanly and a sign of weakness in his blue collar "Paul Bunyan" world. Somehow one couldn't be both there..

So, do I miss my dad on this Father's Day?...nine years after his passing? Yes. Emphatically I do. I wish I had some real time with him now. Now that I know who I am. Now that I know I can be a sensitive soul and exactly who I am, but perfectly able to bust anybody's chops (verbally or otherwise if need be) who thinks they want to tell me what and who I should and shouldn't be..

Has the world changed or have I? Hard to say. Most probably a little of both, but I DO very much miss my dad. I miss what we could have had..

The last line in the article confuses me. It reads like Sam's dad is dead. He isn't.

You have some constraints, of course, Sam, but you don't have to miss your dad the way I have to miss mine. Not yet. Remember that. ;)

P.S. They are both going to make terrific Santas! :happydance:
I still watch "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" every year and I swear Sam looks like the young (ginger haired and bearded) Kris Kringle in that old stop motion holiday kid's show.. :cheeky:

#5 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,553 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Don't worry the last line was mine from the post on the front page babes, so I've taken it out from here to stop the confusion! ;)

#6 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Oops. Sorry. I probably should have realized that!..and that last thought coming from you would of course make perfect sense. :Hug:

I think the font and everything was all the same, but I should still have made the differentiation..Oh well. We can chalk it up to my being a dork as well as having not entirely finished the first cup of coffee..:cheeky:

#7 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,553 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Lol! Don't worry babes, it's all sorted now!!! :cheeky: xxx

#8 Chelinka

Chelinka

Advanced Avatar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Haven't seen my dad today, he has to work again today. I love my dad, the problem is, he is almost never home. That he works so much, already made a lot of disapointments. He wasn't at my elemantary end musical, he never is home with Christmas and in 19 years, he never appeared at my birthday. When he took me with him to Barcelona when I was 14, to spend some quality time, I would have been there with him for 4 days, the first morning he already got telephoned he had to work there, the same evening I was sitting in the airplane back to Holland, he couldn't spend time with me again.

2 weeks ago, the new band I am in (Epona), had a kind of small gig in the pub I work. My mom was there, Jonna plays the drums, even my grandpa and sister where there, I was so proud, but of course, my dad didn't show up again!

I love him, at the small moments I see him, I like to be with him. But he always reminds to me to the song 'Cats in the cradle.'

#9 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Certainly "daddy issues" [for both good and bad] seem to play a role in molding our lives, but they don't define our lives, right?

Here's an old (and not very good) photo of mom and dad..and no, that's not me in my dad's arms, but I am in this photo. :cheeky:

http://desmond.image...jpg&res=landing

Chelinka, your dad reminds me of someone sort of like Sam's Michael in 'Last Night.'

#10 cate

cate

New Terminator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationNew York somewhere

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

I met my dad a month before my 40th birthday. My middle son urged me to look for him - and since he was only 7 - it is amazing he had courage I never did. But, I found my dad and sent him an email. He called and well ... three years later we are good. He made a mistake leaving when he found out my mom was pregnant with me at 18 - but I don't hold any anger - can't blame an adult for something they did when they were just 18.

Ugh, I don't know why I shared that. Who cares, really?

Anyhow ... Sam's letter to his dad was beautiful!

#11 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

I often ask myself the same question, cate.

I do care, though. :)

#12 cate

cate

New Terminator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationNew York somewhere

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thanks, love. I am enjoying getting to know you all here. It is obvious we have lives outside of Sam - he just is one enjoyment we share!

#13 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,553 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

It's good to know things are good between you and your Dad babes!!! :Hug:

#14 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, love. I am enjoying getting to know you all here. It is obvious we have lives outside of Sam - he just is one enjoyment we share!

Speaking for myself, I'm slightly crazy and I guess my sense of humor can come off as a little bizarre at times, but my intentions are always sincere.. :P
Alas, yeah, we all have lives outside of Sam :dreamyeyesf: ..May be a little easier for me because although I'm usually fairly busy around this place..especially during the Spring and Summer, I don't have to go off to a nine to five, so I can pretty much drop what I'm doing and come here whenever I want..and that's good because I wouldn't be happy without my Sam fix..and OFTEN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users