Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,555 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Source: http://www.theaustra...f-1226389511449

Sam Worthington & Full Clip Productions To Produce Gallipoli TV Project

Posted Image

AVATAR star Sam Worthington is to return home to produce a six-part series based on the Gallipoli campaign of World War I in the lead-up to the battle’s 100-year anniversary.

Worthington’s production company, Full Clip, will develop the series with The Slap’s Matchbox Pictures, and it will be screened on Foxtel.

“I’ve always been fascinated about where we’ve come from and the make-up of my country,” Worthington said.

“Rather than just doing something on a small scale, we’ve tried to look at things that defined us. Gallipoli has always defined our spirit and national identity.”

The series will look at the event through the eyes and reporting of the journalists embedded at Gallipoli, including Australia’s Charles Bean, Phillip Schuler and Keith Murdoch (father of News Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch) and Britain’s Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett. It is one of a number of productions Worthington and his Full Clip founding partners, John and Michael Schwarz, already have in development, mainly in the US.

The star of the highest-grossing film in history said producing hadn’t come easily.

“A lot of people look at me and you’re judged on the types of movies you do,” he said.

“I tend to do these blockbusters with massive special effects that aren’t necessarily as heartfelt as you strive for in your own creative impulses.

“So people aren’t breaking down your doors (for your ideas); you’re having to break down their doors and say ‘this is what I consider emotional and touching and these are the stories I want to tell’.”

Worthington had no hesitation in pitching this project to television, not as a film, and specifically to Matchbox Pictures’ Penny Chapman.

“Sometimes the ambitions of films fall short but we can still be ambitious on TV, maybe more so, and connect to the public,” Worthington said.
“Which is what we have always wanted to do: tell stories to Australians.”

Worthington hasn’t yet decided whether he will act in the series, which is due to go into production next year.

“Mate, at this moment we’re just trying to get the story right,” he laughed. “We wanted to explore the whole campaign in quite a different way and the truth of what went down in Gallipoli, not just what the soldiers went through. Using the stories of the war journalists gives us a different insight into the whole campaign from Egypt through to the evacuation, which has never been done before.”

Worthington will reunite with his Somersault director, Cate Shortland, as one of the writers, alongside Jacquelin Perske (Little Fish), Snowtown’s Shaun Grant and Wain Fimeri (Charles Bean’s Great War).

“The great thing about these characters is they’re not black and white, they are this marvellous collection of great characters,” said Matchbox’s Chapman.

“Each of these guys gives us a different facet of the war, which is not necessarily what you get if you do a story on the soldiers.”

#2 Chelinka

Chelinka

Advanced Avatar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sounds exciting, hope Sam will act in it!

#3 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,555 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, it sure does!!! It's JUST EXACTLY the kind of thing I expected Sam and Full Clip to get involved in!!! :cheeky:

And yep, would be bloody EXCELLENT if he DID decide to act in it too!!!

LOOOOOOVE Sam in uniform!!! :wub:

#4 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,551 posts
  • Locationwestern Washington (pacific northwest) USA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Sounds very interesting..and "the truth of what went down in Gallipoli" is always good.

I'm totally in love with the photograph, though I sometimes worry that he pushes himself too hard all the time..
I actually love the pics where he doesn't look like a movie star. He looks so "reachable" like an ordinary guy here.

Giddy came in talking about real estate (as usual) and I just rolled my eyes and looked back at the photograph and asked him if he knew much about Gallipoli. He said no, but then said this was a nice picture of Sam. That he looks like he has it together..which surprised me..because he's usually critical of any guy I take interest in other than him! LOL Then he said, "Well, he looks a little pale, but that's his natural skin tone." I said, "He's not pale, he's ruddy!" He said, "Pffft!" and walked out :BigGrin:

Personally, I can't pull my eyes away from his. I love this picture!

Here's a rundown on the battle for those who'd like to read about it..

http://en.wikipedia....lipoli_Campaign

#5 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,555 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Awww! Nice that Gideon liked the pic of Sam! ;)

#6 Chelinka

Chelinka

Advanced Avatar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

:) I see you, Please ask Gideon to teach Jonna how to give good feedback on Sam, all Jonna said when I showed him the picture was; ''No thanks, I prefer hearing his voice on Black Ops without having to see him!''

No, just, go, go watch soccer or something, go watch UEFA, go to your black ops, just...go! You disapoint me, Jonns! no popcorn for you tonight while watching movie!

#7 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,555 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Lol! I agree, no popcorn allowed!!! ;)

#8 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,551 posts
  • Locationwestern Washington (pacific northwest) USA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

LOL Actually, though he seems to have conceded just a little of late, he's no different than any other guy, really..He's been various shades of chartreuse since September 22, 2010..and I think he will always be that. He has a moment here and there of trying to make an effort to be nice about it because he knows Sam isn't going anywhere, but he's just as jealous of him as a lot of other men..obviously :BigGrin:...and I agree. No popcorn!

#9 cate

cate

New Terminator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationNew York somewhere

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Awww ... I love how Sam looks in that pic - like the normal guy I'd love to have a beer or 80 with! And wonderful news that he is doing something he enjoys, and isn't above find a home for it on television. He gets slammed for being 'just an action star with no talent' but this project will prove the doubters wrong! Congratulations Sam, on getting this off the ground and kicking in those doors...

#10 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,555 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Amen girl!!! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users