• 7,538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Source: http://www.rgj.com/a...ext|FRONTPAGE|s

Man on a Ledge

★ ★ ★ Rated PG-13 for violence and brief strong language

Summit Entertainment

Available Tuesday on DVD, Blu-ray, digital download and on demand

Viewers who demand strict realism from their movies will have big problems with “Man on a Ledge,” an intense thriller about a person pushed to the breaking point. Sam Worthington plays Nick Cassidy, a former cop convicted of a diamond theft that he swears he didn’t perpetrate. After an unlikely escape from prison, he makes his way to a lofty, Manhattan hotel, climbs out a window and threatens to throw himself to the street below.

At first, police don’t know who Nick is, so they respond as they would to any potential jumper. That means standard rescue personnel and a negotiator. These folks soon discover, however, that Nick is hiding something. His hotel room doesn’t contain any identifying information, and he rejects the first negotiator (Edward Burns), demanding to talk only with Lydia Mercer (Elizabeth Banks), a woman scarred because the last jumper she dealt with plunged off the Brooklyn Bridge.

As police try to determine Nick’s identity and talk him down from the ledge, viewers learn there’s a lot more going on than a suicide attempt. In fact, a fair amount of screen time is given to Nick’s brother, Joey (Jamie Bell), and girlfriend, Angie (Genesis Rodriguez), who embark on dangerous exploits of their own.

The entire cast is solid, but it’s Worthington who carries the day. His performance was crucial because the movie hinges on viewers liking Nick and investing in his dilemma. Having a lead actor that viewers identify with was also crucial because much of what happens — particularly toward the end of the movie — is completely implausible. Still, “Man on a Ledge” is fun.

Viewers willing to suspend disbelief and follow screenwriter Pablo F. Fenjves and director Asger Leth, will be rewarded with a fast-paced story that is just as inventive as it is ridiculous.

#2 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,544 posts
  • Locationwestern Washington (pacific northwest) USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Me???? Willing to suspend disbelief????...That's a real funny notion!!! :happydance:

#3 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Lol! I love the fact that he thinks Sam carried the movie squarely on his shoulders! :cheeky:

#4 *I See You*

*I See You*

Titan

• Administrators
  • 3,544 posts
  • Locationwestern Washington (pacific northwest) USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

That didn't escape my attention..and I totally agree! I thought Sam's Nick Cassidy was something else. Just my kind of guy! :BigGrin:
I loved "Man on a Ledge." As a matter of fact, I can say it's the film that I've seen over again in the theater the most in recent years. Everybody who saw it that I talked to liked it. I know that much..and I'm sure that it's popularity will grow once it's distributed on Blu-ray and DVD.

For myself, frankly, if I want something plausible, I'll stay home and extract an old tree stump that's in my way. I go to the movies to be entertained.. :cheeky:

#5 BethmooraRaven

BethmooraRaven

Titan

• Root Admin
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Lol! Yep, nicely put! :cheeky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users